Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Park

Cousin Bryan calls it "The Park" and, after all, it's his land, so we call it "The Park".  I have a Junior Park Ranger pin
in my hat, so it's clear that I'm official as I do my multiple daily rounds.

The two terriers want to be there all the time. It's their exercise and their adventure.  All I have to do is say "Let's go to the Park" and they are up and ready to head out the door.
Sparky checking the water below the dam

Scout checking the debris pile

We spent several afternoons last summer on the kayak.  Sparky especially loved the rides.  I'm ready to be back on the water.  It needs to warm up a little, because sometimes getting in or out of the kayak can be a wet transfer.



It strikes me that I wrote about the creek and the dam in 2008, before I had even an inkling that I would live here.  Be careful what you wish for...

We had lots of great snows this winter, and even had the creek freeze enough to stand/glide on it some:





But spring is finally coming. And after that, summer.  The best part of the park is the tire swing. Resurrecting a multi-generational tradition, we are once again jumping into the creek off of the tire.  Best we did in 2013 was 5 on the tire at a time.  I think we made 9 back in the 70s, but then, we were smaller in the 70s.  Can't wait for things to warm up just a little more.

The Elkhorn is beautiful all year round, and I draw peace and strength from my time here. 
Come visit us out on the creek.

No comments: