Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Facebook

I had an epiphany Sunday night. I was corresponding with Marnie, our executive pastor at Peachtree Presbyterian Church via Facebook. The dialog was clearly supportive of My 95, an initiative of the missional church to guide parishioners in how to spend the vast majority of their life.

As a part of MEDITECH, my email at work is OPEN. That means that anyone can read it. As an officer of the company, I don't even have a log of who read it (most employees can see who has read their email). It's a very convenient mechanism for checking an ill colleague's email, to make sure their clients get appropriate responses. But now I recognize that it is also a very interesting way to convey to the entire company whatever it is that I want to convey. If I'm writing another officer, I know that dozens of employees will read it.

Clearly, we at Peachtree are using Facebook this way as well. I want you to read what I write on Chuck Roberts or Vic Pentz's wall. We're trying to influence you. As followers of Jesus should be hoping to influence others who watch them with everything we do.

My cousin Randolph has made a career out of figuring out how young folks are using the current media. I think it's cool that we old folks can use the new media as well.

No comments: