Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Modern Communications

Well, response to the blog has been somewhat mixed. Most of my friends and family apparently don't do blogs on a regular basis. Someone guided me to Facebook instead, to see her profile, but I don't do social networks much. I am now on Facebook, with two friend invitations out. I've seen at least a few people that I have lost touch with that I will work towards reconnecting with via Facebook, which makes that effort worthwhile.

Anyway, even in the empty nest, with supper to make, puppies to walk and just a little relaxation time, it's hard to imagine how folks spend too much time on social networks or blogging.

That said, email has been a great boon to communication. I email my father-in-law almost every day and we both are better for that correspondence. And, to continue my edits on this post, I had to bring a laptop up to the bedroom, so electronics are good for something.

I talk with herself a lot about maintaining contact with people. It takes time and effort, and perhaps these mechanisms can be a way to leverage some of that time. College friendships seem easier by comparison because you're in close proximity with the people you want to see. Many of our friends and most of our family are tens of minutes if not hours away.

Herself wrote some hand written notes this evening. Now there's a communication method that we reserve only for expressions of gratitude.

Even after stewing for several days, this post is rambling. Then again, that may be what blogs look like.

2 comments:

Claire's Mamma said...

The Harris family are bloggers! We just sent you an invit to Baby Claire's Blog.

Randolph Hollingsworth said...

Your cousin Randolph is a blogger - check out http://academics.uky.edu/UGE/IAS/MyDay